Saturday, January 2, 2010

Omegle

With all due respect to Indian superstition, I believe I'm inaugurating this blog at a not-too-auspicious time. Oh well, at least we have something to blame if things don't go well.

Our first review, sadly, is not of a movie. Or a renowned brand of underwear.

What it is about, is this - Omegle. It has a name that goes astonishingly close to Omigod! (Try saying that repeatedly. Loudly. At a bus stop). Omegle calls itself "a brand-new service for meeting new friends". The former, yes. The latter, not entirely. I rediscovered (visited it a month or two back for some reason) the service when I saw the chat log of a friend attempting to, in colloquial terms, flirt with a member of the opposite sex. Apparently, it went well. Driven to curiosity, I decided to spend some time chatting up random strangers.

Most of the chats I entered ended (abruptly) as soon as I revealed to the stranger that I was male.

The average chat went thus-
You: hey
Stranger: hey asl
You: 42/m/london
You: u?
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

 Since the people involved were strangers, I decided to have some fun:
You: would you quit if i told you i was male?

Stranger: no
Stranger: i'm a girl
You: whoah, thats surprising
Stranger: :)
You: asl, if you dont mind
Stranger: 19, girl, russia
You: ah, russia!
You: are you a communist spy?
Stranger: yes... where are you from
Another one:
You: im a pschic monkey
Stranger: cool, i'm a telepathic panda
You: hello, panda
Stranger: hi monkey
You: i like pandas
You: they taste good
You: with fava beans and a nice chianti
Your conversational partner has disconnected.
 I also tried to scare people into thinking I was Basement Cat. I believe it worked.

You: do you want to see a picture of me?
Stranger: sure...
You: http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008/11/12/funny-pictures-summons-the-undead/
You: my mates call me basement cat
Your conversational partner has disconnected.
Yes, the website proves to be entertaining. I would go into a detailed score sheet but I guess the point has been made with all those chats. Try Omegle. It's fun.

2 comments: